Methods for moisture and water content determinations
The moisture content influences the physical properties of a substance such as weight, density, viscosity, refractive index, electrical conductivity and many more. Chemical, thermogravimetric or loss on drying techniques are used to determine this content.
Why measuring moisture ?Most natural products contain moisture. The water content per se is seldom of interest. Rather, it shows whether a product intended for trade and production has standard properties such as
- Agglomeration in the case of powders
- Microbiolgical stability
- Flow properties, viscosity
- Dry substance content
- Concentration or purity
- Commercial grade (compliance with quality agreements)
- Nutritional value of the product
- Legal conformity (statutory regulations governing food)
METTLER TOLEDO offers a wide range solutions to measure the moisture or water content in a sample.